How the Ride for Life Became the Ride of My Life

This year is my fourth year of biking CCG. Our team is growing, we now have team members from all around the country, it is a unique group of individuals, determined, social and caring. We all ride for the same purpose to raise awareness and funds to cure MS.

Last year at mile 40, I had a bad fall. As I was slowing down and trying to unclip, I tripped and fell at the edge of an outside stairway. I knew it was bad as I had lost my breath for few seconds.

I noticed that I was bleeding all over my legs and onto the handlebar. I stopped and wiped out the blood and realized that it was superficial scrapes, not deep, so I continued to ride. When I reached Miles standish Park at mile 50 I felt pain in my left side. I tried to stand, but it hurt so bad that I decided to just sit back down and keep riding. At that point, I knew that I had probably cracked a rib but I loaded myself up with Advil and kept riding.

Despite my injury, I finished day one with a good time. After I approached my team waiting at the tent to collect my package and first day shirt, I decided to go check in with the first aid crew. I assumed that an ice pack and more Advil would be enough to get me through the night – nobody at that point thought it was more than just a bruise. I had a feeling that it was more than that, but I wasn’t 100% sure. I even told my husband, Bill, that I was planning to go on and complete the second day!

Getting up at 4am and crossing the Bourne Bridge was a huge feat for me. I couldn’t stand up to pedal. I knew I might have a broken rib. I had heard others saying how the second day was the toughest part of the ride, so I was really nervous. Being silly, I decided to get rid of everything extra that was on me so I wouldn’t have to carry it – like my windbreaker and my extra food. I went off with my team. My captain, Neil Ducoff, assured me that the hill we were approaching was not that bad and he rode beside me the whole way until we reached the end of the Bridge.

I actually finished the ride all the way to Providence in a better time than the first day. When I later visited the hospital, I learned that I had three broken ribs and that they had shifted while riding on the second day.


There were three things that kept me going during the ride that day.

  1. I was determined to meet my goal of finishing two days.
  2. I have friends that have MS and deal with it daily. If they can handle the pain and work through it, then so can I.
  3. My reward at the end – a plate of fried clams in P town.

I won’t say it was easy. There were a lot of obstacles on that ride, but every mile was the ride of my life.

I am riding again this year. Would you help me by donating to the cause or my team? Are you interested in joining our team and riding this year? Next year?

Let me know. Let’s train together and raise together. This ride of your life could help give a cure for another life.


Share this article